Rick May | Srivideo
Biography | Posted: Tuesday, 14th April
Born/Date of Birth: September 21, 1940
Died: April 8, 2020 (aged 79), Seattle, Washington, U.S.
Education: St. Olaf College
Occupation: Voice actor, teacher, director, actor
Rick May (September 21, 1940 – April 8, 2020) was an American voice actor and theatrical performer, director, and teacher from Seattle, Washington. May provided the voice for Peppy Hare in Star Fox 64 and Soldier in Team Fortress 2, among other video games.
May was raised in Seattle and Canada. He served in the U.S. military and was stationed in Japan, where he coordinated USO shows in Tokyo. May returned to the Seattle area to serve as the director of the Renton Civic Theatre and Civic Light Opera in Renton, Washington. In one production of the Cotton Patch Gospel in Renton, May played all 21 roles with a variety of voices. He retired from the Renton Civic Theatre in 2001 to begin his own theater company in Kirkland, Washington, and become a full-time actor.
He began voice acting in video games in the late 1990s, including roles as Peppy Hare and Andross in Star Fox 64, the narrator and Genghis Khan in Age of Empires II, and Soldier in Team Fortress 2.
From 1998 through 2019, Rick May played Inspector Lestrade in the Imagination Theatre radio series The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. He also played Lestrade in the related radio series The Classic Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and played various roles in other Imagination Theatre radio dramas.
- May performed in numerous roles throughout his theatrical career, including:
- Brutus (in Julius Caesar)
- Benjamin Franklin (in 1776)
- Tevye (in Fiddler on the Roof)
- Willy Loman (in Death of a Salesman)
- Alfred Doolittle (in Pygmalion)
- Theodore Roosevelt (in Bully!)
- King Henry II (in The Lion in Winter)
- Captain Hook (in Child in the Night, TV film)
- Inspector Lestrade (on radio in The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
His voice-overs include:
- Peppy Hare and Andross - Star Fox 64
- Dr. M - Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
- The Soldier - Team Fortress 2
- Genghis Khan - Age of Empires II
- Dadfish and Marty Sardini in Freddi Fish 5.
- Wingnut in Pajama Sam 2.
May suffered a stroke in February 2020 and was moved to a nursing home for rehabilitation. In an obituary dated 8 April 2020, published by Rekindle School, where May was a teacher, May died from COVID-19 at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle.